Case Study 02; A Star Performer

The Client

Part of a group serving publishers of high quality weekly and monthly magazines, operating Goss M600/1 series presses.

The Challenge

Operators felt press output and efficiency was below the standard expected from their machines. They suspected that this was due the below par performance of their silicone emulsion and doser. In addition to poor print quality, significant static had also been encountered on low gsm papers.

The Solution

Over several visits we worked with the press team to confirm the cause of their problem. We noticed that the doser was set to maximum but still failing to deliver enough silicone. After stripping it down we identified a blockage caused by biofilm, resulting from failure of the silicone’s biocide. Additionally most silicone was being pulled from a central line at 3.5% brix as the doser could only dose 1.5% brix. This in turn led to build up on turner bars, ink travel and web slipping.

The Outcome

We supplied Finasil S50 AW as an alternative silicone emulsion. Its biocide package prevents biofilm growth while its anti-static agent eliminates static. We then installed a new Dosatron and isolated the press from the central line to avoid cross contamination. The new doser and Finasil S50 AW increased both silicone percentage and brix by a magnitude of five. Combined they delivered improved print finish, no static build-up and reduced consumption at a benchmark 21% doser measurement and 5.2% brix.